The claims process determines the WSCC benefits workers can receive if they are hurt at work.
Benefits may include:
- Compensation for wages lost while they recover from their work injury or disease;
- Medical care and other non-financial benefits;
- pensions; and
- Other services like help to return to work, prescriptions, and out-of-pocket expenses.
The claims process has four steps:
- Information Gathering: Relevant reports from workers, employers, and health care providers are obtained.
- Claim Entitlement: the WSCC makes a decision on the claim.
- Benefit Calculation: if the WSCC accepts the claim, we calculate benefits.
- Ongoing Communication: the injured worker works closely with a WSCC Adjudicator or Case Manager throughout their recovery.